My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pain Management: Part 6 (Return to the new normal)

Remember my arm? It still hurts.

While dealing with all of the above -- the antibiotics, the Home Depot, the crankiness, the pain -- yes indeed, I start feeling dampness below the place where the tube inserts into my chest wall.  Like, my tube is leaking.  I have felt this on and off for the last few days and now it's happening when I'm not moving or stretching too much.

Not good.  No bueno.  For the second time now I call my doctor's office.  Hiya remember me?  Yes, the pain is still there, AND I'm now leaking. Hmmmm.  This is kind of a problem.  I need to come in before the end of the day.  So I round up Spencer, he drives me up there, I go on in, my doctor's assistant fixes the tube, puts some new gauze on me and says oh, yeah, regarding the iboprofen/acetaminophen idea? the doctor says that sometimes the pain just doesn't respond.  And then she writes me a prescription, a physical handwritten non-fax, non-voice mail, prescription for Percoset.  (Remember Percoset?)  Just take some of this, she says.  No need to really be that uncomfortable.

Alrighty then.


I tell the whole sad story to the pharmacist at our regular wonderful caring Ralph's Pharmacy down on Garfield.  He says, wow, that's quite a step down from Percoset to Ibuprofen.  I'm like, all, tell me about it.  He hands me the vial, says there are 30 in there, and really, truly, I should just go home and take it easy.  It was the most compassionate phrase, and the most logical and straightforward interaction, I'd had all day.

So.  Here we are at the end of the day.  I'd say the whole day could be categorized as one big huge  "Unavoidable Other."  (Or, was all the back and forth avoidable?  I don't know.  I really don't.)  Body points?  Well, I'm no longer leaking, so there's that.  Soul points?  Salvaged by a terrific dinner procured by Roger from Carmine's followed by a whole family viewing of Fantastic Mr. Fox.  And some great moments wedged in between.  Driving around with Spencer, picking up Taylor at the train station, running through good names for the new blog.  So, oddly enough, there was a lot of soul going on today.  Just in the most unlikely moments.

Mind points?  I think I lost all of them for the entire week.

And... I did come home.  I did take Percoset.  I did manage to enjoy the movie.  But my arm?  Still hurts, baby.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 1:19 PM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?