My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Fuck You, Buddha

In Buddhist philosophy, there's a concept of pain vs. suffering.  Pain is mandatory as we travel through life, suffering is optional.  Suffering, the Buddhists say, is caused by our clinging and aversion to certain events.  We are hit by the first arrow of bad news, or disease, or loss, and that causes pain.  But the second arrow is what we do to ourselves as a result of our minds being so utterly attached to whatever it is that's been affected.  If we can detach ourselves from those things, then we will be without suffering.

Fuck that.

Today I am feeling very attached.  Even though all evidence is telling me that I have ducked the mortality bullet, this time, I am still very profoundly rattled by how close it's come.  And I'm very profoundly aware that this bullet can come out of nowhere, at any time, for no reason at all, whatsoever.  I could be riding my new life-affirming bike, my breast still full of cancer, and get walloped by a car.  I could be in the hospital after the car walloping and an earthquake could rumble through.  I could survive the earthquake, stagger out onto the street, slip on a banana peel, and crack my head open.  I could crawl, bleeding, back into the hospital, holding the pieces of my head together, and be given penicillin and have an allergic reaction.

You get my point.

It can come at any time.  And my gift, and curse, these days is being acutely and painfully aware of that fact.

And so I suffer.  Because I AM attached.  I fucking AM attached to my children.  I fucking AM attached to my husband.  I'm attached to the spring air, and the clouds in the sky, and my weekends at Descanso.  I'm attached to the very loud music I blast in my car these days, screaming and singing at the top of my lungs.  Aqualung, Garbage, loud, angry, bass line fuck you music.  I'm attached to my crazy dysfunctional job with its impossible workload and totally great cool smart earnest supportive co-workers.  I'm attached to my mother, trying to hold it together at 91, trying to wrap her head around what's happening to me, as she's trying to wrap her head around her own mortality.  I'm attached to food and how good it tastes.  I'm attached to Wes Anderson films and want to see all of them, all the time, forever.  I'm attached to martial arts and the feeling of whacking a bamboo stick against another bamboo stick with hard staccato blows.  I'm attached to the smell of a backstage, so attached that the thought of never again touching a hemp rope or pushing in the shutter of a leko almost makes me lose my mind.  I'm attached to every one of my friends, my glorious idiosyncratic funny smart literate sassy laughing cooking friends.  I'm attached to my goofball dog and my bitch of a cat.  I'm fucking attached to all of it, including my actual very own BODY PARTS, Buddha.  And THAT is why I'm suffering, and THAT is why I say fuck you.

I hate this.  It's all well and good to say oh yes, death is just another plane and we'll just vibrate on a different frequency.  Absolutely.  That could all be true.  But what about those KIDS of mine?  To never see them again with these eyes?  To never be told that my bike has been stolen, or they found the Maylasian plane, hijacked by the Somali actor as a reality show stunt after his taste of Hollywood -- hahahahahah April Fools! -- or to watch another Buffy episode with either of them, or talk about movies or art or bikes or martial arts or theatre or great plans for the future or how to deal with college?  Like, REALLY?  To never do that again?

Or to never take a yoga class taught by Roger again, or watch for red whiskered bulbuls in the trees on our street, or sit in back eating salmon from our absolutely rocking BBQ, while the water feature competes with the freeway for decibel levels, and my chaotic but beautiful hillside tries to keep making sense of the way I planted it, talking deep into the evening about life and people and philosphy and how to get the kitchen remodeled.

To never do that again?

FUCK YEAH, I'm attached. 

So yeah, absolutely, Buddha.  I say fuck you, because you're right.  All this attachment is causing me to suffer.  It's causing me great joy as well, as I sip every moment of life gratefully.  But, it's causing me to suffer.

Which is why I am writing this blog.  Because it sucks to love it all so much.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 11:49 AM

 

Comments: I love you, Dharma sister. # posted by Blogger Unknown : 11:03 PM   Thinking of you, girl. xoxo # posted by Blogger Rebecca Lynch : 11:27 AM   Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?