My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Words on a Page


I was awakened this morning by a clap of thunder and the sound of water pouring out of the sky. I am again in New York and I cracked open my eyes to see it raining in pure sheets outside my open window.

As you may have gathered, I love this city. (Not this again, I see you guys rolling your eyes. Not the "oh my god I love New York so much it hurts" speech.) I'll spare you. But just know that every time I look out the window I am filled with a joy that is so deep and profound it actually worries me. Like I really am truly looking upon the face of my beloved. And how odd it is that the beloved is not a human being. Or maybe it's me really going for the unavailable again -- a promiscuous, polygamous city, 3000 miles from my home. Yes, that would just about match my patterns.

The heat and humidity is sexual though. A friend says this weather just stands outside your window and screams Stella! It stands out there in a wife-beater, biceps bulging, agonizing, laughing, moving, pounding, sticky with sex, heat and panting gasping smells and grunts and groans. You can't get away from the imagery. It is what it is.

I have been finding these incredible bulls-eye in-the-heart-of-experience moments this trip. Could be the meditation I've been adding to my life. I road the train downtown the other night after two hours of meditation and yoga, emerging from the studio high as a kite despite two very short nights of sleep.

Unable and unwilling to turn down the octane, I was able to stay dead center in the present experience all the way through the evening: The blast of the subway station as I descended into the inferno like Persephone; the rackety-rackety swaying ride on the N train downtown; the zoetrope flickering of the windows in the train racing down the tracks next to us, in perfect sync....

For the entire evening I was able to simply and exquisitely be. And the city turned on the juice in kind, providing me with exotic Omalu Capoiera martial-arts dancers in Union Square, They were standing in a circle, playing drums and strange stringed instruments, chanting in a call-and-response. The dancers performed in an improv duet of beautifully stylized martial arts forms, going up and over and through one another in flowing mock-battle, spinning on their heads, doing hand stands, primitive and surreal.

And then, this morning. My glasses off, the day not yet begun, the view out my window was blurred and veiled. The rain made a flat scrim out of the sky and all I could really make out was the water tower behind the Ambassador Theatre across the street and the various vertical edges of the buildings on either side and behind it. An achingly subtle movement of color, from sepia at the bottom of the frame, up to a dusky blue at the tope, held my attention and made my chest hurt with its beauty. It was like an ultra-refined Rothko, the change in hue imperceptible from moment to moment, but obviously carrying with it a movement from one state to the next.

The lightning flickered like a strobe light, in periodic bursts. Nestled in my cave on the 11th floor, I watch it without any fear. The city is so dense with structure, the heavens can't reach down and touch me with their violence. I look out and watch the day slowly creep through the veil, and details start to emerge like words on a page...

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 1:13 PM

 

Comments: I love NYC too. No, I love, love, LOVE New York. *LOVE* it. Want to go there now. Want to see it in snow. Want to stand on a summer-night subway platform and feel the sweat roll down my neck. Want to walk around....oh, you get the idea. # posted by Blogger West Coast Grrlie Blather : 6:06 PM   Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?