My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Saturday, August 25, 2007

At the still point...


Over twenty years ago, I wrote a story about a woman who wakes up one day, quits her job, and takes off to Billings, Montana (because that's the destination for the father and son in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.")

Yesterday, I packed up my office, packed up a van, and did much the same thing.

The idea for the trip started off as life imitating art (although I could never have orchestrated, consciously, the fact that I'd be leaving my job on the same day as the road trip began). I am deep into the updated version of the book, and the purpose of this trip is mainly to gather some firsthand info about what exactly this part of the country looks like. So now art is going to start getting some serious feedback in turn.

For anyone who has been missing these blogs, my heartfelt apologies. I am working on the book in any spare moment and the blogs seem to only come on me when I'm out of town. Right now, however, my life is packed up, my work is in transition and my home here in this hotel room with my kids. There is only the now to concern myself about.

I hope to share as we go along.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 7:05 AM

 

Comments: Wow. Billings. Cool. I want to go, but the time is not yet.

I'm currently reading through a whole bunch of letters (dated mostly 1916-1925, but stretching forward and back from 1910-1944), many of which were written from Billings.

That's where my grandmother grew up, and her mother wrote her regularly (weekly) in great detail. So I get clippings of the Billings Gazette and other local news and gossip from a long ways back.

Have a faboo time. I hope, in due course, to make a trek there myself! # posted by Blogger Susan K : 9:47 PM  
Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?