My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Sunday, May 13, 2007

A picture is worth...

WOW.

That was amazing.

I had SO many reactions to that previous post... and just about none of them matched the words themselves. Ranging from tears to congratulations, just about everyone who called or wrote was positive that I was selling my house.

Just to be absolutely clear: I am not. The sign literally showed up, by accident, in my front lawn. It was a mistake by Zip Realty. My address was similar to another house that was listed. Whups. "Zip" was apparently the amount of effort they had spent to fact check their listings.

What is amazing is the power of the image. I am not an image person myself. I am pure words. I will walk into the wrong bathroom if there isn't a word posted underneath the icon of a man or woman. I loathe Mac computers because they are so "intuitive" they don't have to use words. Unfortunately, this renders them incomprehensible to the verbal types in the world, like me.

An image of a For Sale sign in front of a house is so iconographic that it trumps any amount of words written beneath it. I mean, verbal or not, even I had a moment wondering if I was selling. (Which, I repeat, I am not.)

So even though I was obviously messing with language and implying one thing while saying another, no one who responded to me was willing to believe that the image was false. They would prefer to doubt the language, or at least live in its ambiguity. An image of a For Sale sign is blissfully non-ambiguous. It's obvious what is going on, so the words are discounted. Even though, actually, the truth is far different from the connoted meaning.

A picture is not worth 1000 words. A picture is worth all of them.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 11:05 PM

 

Comments: *I* knew you were playing with us by posting that picture! I want credit for knowing you well enough. :) # posted by Blogger Unknown : 6:54 AM   I'm actually kind of sorry you're NOT selling your house -- after the
initial gasp, I was like, "Boy, what a bold and resourceful move!
Brave and inventive use of existing resources to make a change! I'm
impressed!" So now I kind of feel the way I imagine you feeling if
I'd changed my mind about quitting UMG -- please and relieved that I'd
still be around, but secretly sorry that someone hadn't, after all,
slipped the surly bonds of earth and gone off to touch the face of God.

(Yes, I know Ronald Reagan (or Peggy Noonan) used that quote, too, but that's no reason to let the terrorists win . . .) # posted by Blogger Jill B. : 11:46 AM  
when did they pick the sign up ?

what was their excuse? # posted by Blogger master : 4:50 AM  
Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?