My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Friday, November 10, 2006

Tantric blogging

I have been thinking about these blogs recently and wondering why I'm suddenly writing fewer of them.

The contrarian in me thinks that the thrill started to be gone when my friend Tom figured out my formula. Once I'm figure-out-able, it's time to learn some new tricks.

This feeling started around late August, when I started this intense sprint/marathon of activity. It wasn't so much that I was insanely busy (which I was) -- it was also that there was SO much to write about I got backed up and found that the moment I had time to write up something that had a occured to me a few days previously, there were two other ideas competing for top priority.

As my grandmother would say, in her Polish accent: So much, too much. There was so much to write, so many thoughts and synchronicities. So much to do. Too much to even start.

And then there's this other thing that's been needling my psyche. What's the next project going to be? It's been a year since AIJ came out. People are starting to ask: now what? And -- now that I've proven that it's possible to squeeze a book out of the thin air of an overbooked schedule -- what am I going to do next?

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid that the blogs have been giving me enough satisfaction that I'm sated just enough. I get my ya yas out here, sporadically but consistently enough that there's no more oomph left in me to make the words link together into a big sprawling storyline. I get to smoke these little cigarettes in a slightly euphoric post blog state JUST often enough to be happy.

I'm always a huge fan of going for the gusto in any way and every way possible. But maybe I'm kind of shooting my wad here. And maybe I need to hold some of it back in order to go for the bigger bang.

So I'm thinking of trying something out. Since I've been living with this concept of Going Without for way too long, I'm used to the idea. Boy, I hate this idea. But maybe Going Without with a higher goal and purpose is better than getting any old action simply to slake the thirst.

Tantric blog writing. Enough to get the juices flowing -- both from a giving and receiving standpoint -- but holding back a bit and saving it for the lollapalloza finale down the line a little bit.

My first thought is "man, that sucks." And the second is "Yeah, right." But maybe it's what's necessary to service the higher good. Maybe I try to save a bit on the side to work on something bigger/longer. Something we don't have to call a novel, yet, but something that may very well look like a longer piece of fiction.

So let's see how it works: shorter, quicker, more frequent bursts from my keyboard. Less fleshed out, more impressionistic. Sketches. Thoughts. Moments.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 7:10 AM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?