My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Monday, August 28, 2006

Burning Woman, Pt II

As I write this I am in central Oregon, surrounded by fires.

We are in no danger. And this is all perfectly normal for people who actually live with fewer buffers between them and the natural world. But once again I'm being bombarded with this theme of burning.

There is the "Cascade complex" of fires to our east. And just now, as Jack and I were driving back from Salem to pick up Chris and our friend Dee as they ended today's river rafting trip, we headed right into the eye of huge plumes of smoke. They seemed to emanate directly from the river where two of my three favorite people in the world were racing rapids in a yellow inflatable boat.

It was not a great feeling.

I really had a moment of wondering if this time I'd pushed the odds too far. What was I thinking, letting them go? And how had this fire erupted into such an overpowering size in the two hours since we last saw them set off?

It turns out it was a controlled burn. Agricultural fields. Intentional and useful.

I can't even start with the metaphors of yesterday's river rafting. I mean, duh. I've already clobbered the river metaphor to within an inch of its life in the intro to my book, and that was before I'd been actually IN and ON and THROUGH a river. That was simply from some observations. After yesterday, I will never look at a river the same way again.

I know this blog is about burning, but I do have to make one amendment to my introductory essay in the book as soon as possible: you know when I say that it's really not about the rocks? Well, actually, when you're the heaviest butt in the boat... it is. It really IS all about the rocks. Yes, you're going down the river whether you like it or not. But when it's YOUR butt dragging on the bottom of the river, the passage is not quite as serene as it looks from above.

Just FYI.

Outside, the smoke is clearing. We are about to drive up to cook our dinner at a campsite by a lake. Not the hiking experience we'd been hoping for (cancelled because of the fires), but one that works a whole lot better for weary city people unused to all this interaction with nature.

We will harness the fire to cook our dinner and keep us warm. The energy will be useful, not destructive.

Fires you use to cook with are useful. Forest fires are essential. Agricultural burning -- while letting off scary amounts of smoke -- are mandatory, too.

Sometimes it's not serene, and sometimes you bang up into the obstacles in a painful and embarrassing manner. Sometimes the smoke gets in your eyes. And sometimes it looks worse than it is.

Things that look large and threatening can, at times, be good and empowering. Necessary for future growth. Clearing the way for new things, providing nourishment for the renewal of life.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 4:27 PM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?