My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Friday, August 18, 2006

Blog Recommendations

I'm not sure why but, as you may have noticed, I don't have links to my favorite blogs on the side of my site. I think it was an aesthetic decision on the part of my designer (he's like that and God help you if you try to talk him out of it). But that doesn't stop me from making some recommendations from time to time.

I've been particularly attracted to four new blogs recently. Three of them, yes, happen to belong to friends of mine... but I also found one this morning that I really like even without knowing the person behind it. So here is some PR for my friends (met and unmet), and direction to some good reading for anyone who happens to want more places to go.

The one I found this morning is Hollywood Flakes, written by South Pasadena resident Sarah Flake. I found it because Sarah happened upon my blog first and was kind enough to write me a comment. So I checked her out. Delightful! Like, REALLY delightful. She's got a terrific style about her -- kind of a Mormon Annie Lamott. My favorite part was the "Things I eHat" (that's pig latin, of course). She's got a sassy sense of irony and timing and her words just go together perfectly.

Bookfiend is written by my friend Tom Gartner, who is also terrific at putting words together in exactly the right way. His blog is in its infancy, probably less than a month old. But already I'm seeing where it could go. It is all about books, well, mostly. It uses books as a springboard for other ruminations, but it all works because books can be the entry point for every adventure you'll ever want to have. He's a beautiful writer and reading the entries is like curling up in a leather armchair next to a crackling fire on a winter's night.

Another friend, Peter, has a wild thing going at http://010355.blogster.com/. This one is funny and out there and stabs like a stilletto. Peter's completely unafraid to say whatever is on his mind, usually political these days. A random pick from a list he put up in one recent entry called Ameri-iik-a... listing 21st century trains of thought that really need some derailment:


7 - Not every country will rejoice when Americans arrive like France did when we helped liberate it in WWII.

8 - The French helped us win the Revolutionary War. Really. It's why Nashville and an assload of the other towns in Tennessee were named "villes" in honor of the French ... I so know you didn't know that. It's so time you did!

9 - Being told something is OK by authority figures is not always a fact.

10 - Katrina is a warning...not a fluke.

My other favorite part of his blogs are his work haikus... just a couple here...

HOURLY REPORT
Every time I look
The clock hasn't moved an inch
Work is like dog years.

MISSION STATEMENT
Our mission statement?
"If you can't be big, belittle!"
And do we mean it.

Finally, I'd like to recommend bike (b)log, my friend Scott's latest endeavor. Scott is training for the Davis Bike Club's Foxy's Fall Century bike ride. I don't know why it's interesting to watch someone train for something like this. Every entry is mainly just about that day's bike ride. Booorrring, right? Oddly not though. He goes into all his statistics, weight, heart rate, type of ride, where he went, and sometimes puts little pictures in to illustrate the fact that it was a gravelly road. I think what's kind of interesting about this is the pure obsessiveness of his voluntary descent into hell. I mean, it's like watching Rocky's training in verrrryyyyy sllllooooowww motion. It's definitely fun to read in a "better you than me, bub" way. Also, for me personally, I get a kind of sweet validation that I'm not the most obsessive person in the world. I also like the picture on the top of the site. Man, if that doesn't evoke the siren's song of the open road, I don't know what does.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 10:03 AM

 

Comments: I can't quite put my finger on the reason why, but I like this post!

Great blog recommendations - I'm once again inspired to try and tackle the library in search of new and better reading. My baby always has other plans for me once we get there though. # posted by Blogger Sarah : 1:27 PM  
Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?