My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Munchies

A post-yoga endorphin rush is better than any drug I've ever experienced.

A good yoga class leaves my mind scrubbed so free of lint and clutter that I literally do not see the world in the same way. It's like the first time I tried on prescription glasses and couldn't get enough of looking at the lacy filigree of tree leaves. When I come out of class it feels like my lenses have been reformed and made of glass that is so much clearer than before that I am now able to see things as they really are, without prejudgment, without static, without noise.

Tonight after one such class I decided to take Sam on a walk. It was about 9:30 and we poured out of the front door into the summer night. I love these nights, the heat of the house wafting out of the open windows, floor fans perched in front doors while the TV flickers inside.

I listen to the lights... the garden lights softly illuminating the underbellies of tree branches and little amber lights perched on brick steps. The luminous red of a closed curtain with a living room light glowing behind it. Cars swish by, urban jazz pulsing out through open windows, sound systems of power and clarity, music of seduction and speed.

A truck starts up next to me. I see a hand turning on the radio. The deep thrum of the engine shoots me back to Oakland, maybe thirty years ago, when my first truly adult boyfriend would start his car in the black early morning hours, leaving me warm and aching for him in his big foreign bed.

A house with no lights on intriques me. I sense that it is not empty. Maybe there is an older couple inside, already deep into sleep. They may be entertwined somewhere in the back, so used to each other that they feel as comfortable together in sleep as I feel alone with my dog. How many years? Fifty? Maybe sixty?

A couple sits on a front porch behind a wide lawn and a hedge. They seem like they've just finished dinner. She may be sitting on his lap, I can't tell. But I see his hand on her arm, encircling her waist.

It strikes me that these houses are not the houses of romance or sex. These are the homes that people buy after they've been married for awhile, not the college shoebox apartments that make you want to wear a condom to even open a door, nor the little cottages of the newly married, pre-baby set.

So it seems odd and marvelous to see a touch of romance in there beyond the hedge. Are they children of the owners? Housesitters? Or even maybe the owners, married, still friends and still happy to sit in the warm summer evening together, breathing in the cooling air with mutual compatibility.

I hear Tom Petty as I near the corner coming from a tiny Spanish style bungalow, squeezed into the corner of the lot. Stucco walls, tile roof, vintage 1930's LA. In ways I cannot explain, this house smells like college life.

The kitchen window above the sink is open, without a screen, and I can hear the on/off of water as the dishes are being done. Some spiciness is still in the air and as the dog stops to investigate the ivy, I casually turn my head and take a good look. A hispanic man, maybe in his late 20's, is framed in the window, intent on washing the dishes. Above the house arch several tall pines, opening up into a square of deep blue night. In the center of that is the full moon, bright as a newly minted nickle. The square of the window, the moon overhead. "And I'll feel a whole lot better when you're gone..." in the background.

I cross the street, looking back on that scene one more time. I wished I had my camera. I wished Edward Hopper could've caught it. But it's not Edward Hopper that is necessary, I suddenly think, and it's not imperative to capture it. All that's needed is to keep discharging the internal clutter so the images can flow in, pure and achingly beautiful. There are more out there.

Walking up the hill to my house I realize that this is how I used to feel about freshly baked chocolate chip cookies; I am ravenous and insatiable to consume all of this. The summer evening, the man in the window, the bright moon, the promise to come.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 10:23 PM

 

Comments: Kathy... yet another great post. CONGRATULATIONS on your latest award. Don't foget me when you win the Pulitzer. # posted by Blogger LoriAnn's Blog : 8:57 PM   Wow! You are really a great writer! I hear you on the yoga afterglow. My best yoga experience was when I was trying to teach a class to a bunch of teenagers while totally knocked up on cold meds. It was a fantastically zen experience ;) I'm a South Pasadena blogger and found your site through southpasblogs.blogspot. I'm looking forward to reading more of your stuff. # posted by Blogger Sarah : 8:07 PM   Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?