My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Friday, June 23, 2006

Pleasantville

Maltshop Guy: What's outside of Pleasantville?
David: Oh, it doesn't matter.
Maltshop Girl: What's outside of Pleasantville?
[pause]
David: There are some places that the road doesn't go in a circle. There are some places where the road keeps going.
Maltshop Girl: Keeps going?
David: Yeah, yeah. It just keeps going. It all keeps going.

I wrote one of these lines down the other night while watching Pleasantville. "There are some places that the road doesn't go in a circle. There are some places where the road keeps going." I was thinking about how, in life, sometime you get on a road where it just keeps circling back on itself. Even with a lot of therapy, a lot of consciousness, a great deal of introspection... sometimes you get to the end of the path just to find yourself on its beginning again.

In Pleasantville, the black-and-white town in the movie, there are two streets: Main and Elm. When you get to the end of Main you find yourself back at the beginning of it again. There's nothing outside of Pleasantville. And, until the events of the movie transpire, there's no need for anything outside of Pleasantville. Everyone stays on script. They do what's expected of them every moment and nothing... ever... changes.

I like the idea of pleasantness. I like it very much. In my life with my ex-husband and his current girlfriend, I think I'm perceived as the Anti-Pleasant person. I have the potential to bring icky stuff up. I have the potential to cause conflict. They don't like that. And I don't blame them. I don't like ickiness or confrontation, either. But I seem to have the role of being the one who brings that into the mix. I keep myself as invisible as possible, but I still have that role.

I believe to the core of my being that in order to make these roads in life GO somewhere, you have to be willing to have life not be pleasant every so often. As a dear friend said to me the other night, regarding a path of personal growth: "we're not in the business of being comfortable. Being comfortable is no longer part of our job description."

I was married 16 years ago today. It was a great day and in many ways I was the happiest I've ever been for most of the eight years of the marriage. I look back on that feeling of being partnered with great wistfulness and nostalgia.

Was it pleasant? Yes, in good ways.

Did the road lead somewhere? Yes, for much of the time.

I don't believe that being on the road that goes somewhere HAS to be unpleasant. It just has the potential to go off script from time to time. Things change. Upsets happen. Sometimes you get to a place where it just isn't clear what's expected any more.

That's OK, I think. I will take my chances with improvisation and feeling adrift and occasional moments of just not knowing what's next. I want my road to go somewhere. There's a whole lot of world out there to see.

# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 10:42 AM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?