My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Pond

My office building has a large reflection pond in front of it that is home to several families of ducks. When I work late, I come out and see the mallards sitting on the warm lights that point upward to illuminate the fountain. Sometimes I'll grab a sandwich and just watch them for a lunch hour, letting the sound of the freeway on the other side of the fence lull me as completely as the waves on a beach.

Every spring we see two or three new families created. In the beginning, the ducklings are so small they can barely waddle across the grass. But soon we see the females paddling across the water, their young following behind them in an inverted V. Stout businessmen in pinstripe suits are rendered motionless, mesmerized by the scene.

Collectively, we are touched. And concerned. When it seems there might be fewer ducklings on a Monday morning, I ask the the security staff and they give me a report on whether there have been any fatalities over the weekend. But every day, it seems, the ducklings get bigger and bigger. And when they get big enough to stop being differentiated from the mother, we are, collectively, proud.

Recently, the pond has been emptied and dry for maintenance. They seem to be patching up the floor and letting the cement cure in the sun. One day, before it dried up completely, I ate lunch and watched a couple of ducks stand in the remaining puddles. They looked puzzled, but took what they could get.

It's been completely dry for a few days, though. Today, walking into work, I saw one of the female ducks standing on the grass, looking up towards the building. She was away from the empty pond. Standing on the grass. Unsure and lost.

It was the saddest image I've seen in a long time. A duck standing alone. Without the water that sustains and surrounds.

I hope they fill it up again. Soon.




# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 9:15 AM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?