My Photo
Name:
Location: California, United States

 

Links

Aphrodite In Jeans Website

Atom Site Feed

RSS Site Feed

 

Archives

February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 January 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 October 2009 March 2010 November 2010 December 2010 February 2011 March 2011 June 2011 March 2014 April 2014

 

 

Saturday, April 23, 2005

iPods Make You Happy

OK. I think Apple needs to pay me for this one. I'm going to totally streamline their marketing campaign. They can fire everyone and just hire me.

Here's how it goes:

iPods Make You Happy.

That's it. Clean. Simple. I plug my new iPod into my ears and, presto. Happiness.

Picture this. Last weekend I'm sitting on I15 heading north. I'm driving a truck. I have to drive to Barstow, pick up two people from a homeless shelter, use them to load and unload sets to and from two trucks, drive down to Escondido, unload said trucks, and start setting up a show I haven't done in 12 years.

So I'm sitting in the truck, contemplating the glamour of theatre, contemplating this insane schedule, contemplating how I'm already about two hours behind, contemplating the crew that will be sitting down in Escondido, waiting for us, on the payroll... contemplating, bascially, how fucked up my life is... when suddenly the traffic TOTALLY stops.

STOPS.

Like, I look ahead on the road about two miles and there is no movement to the traffic up there whatsoever.

And I sit

And wait

And nobody's goin' NOWHERE.

Well, people do go places. Some of them, freaking out, take off overland and try to four-wheel it over the 100 yards of median between the southbound and northbound lanes. A guy in a totally trashed Camero pulls over and just goes to sleep on the side of the road. All the lanes kind of inch back and forth, closing up the gaps ahead, but that's about it.

We are STUCK.

My partner is in the truck behind me. I call him up. Boy, we're stuck, I say. Yup, he says. We are.

About a half an hour later, the red truck with the load of hay that I've been watching up by the bend ahead of us two miles starts crawling forward. This is a good sign. At least this means that somewhere someone is moving. So for the next hour the whole group of us, collectively, inches forward.

We see an ambulance, which is a good sign (in a sick way). This means we're dealing with an accident and not 300 miles of gamblers ahead of us deciding to go to Vegas all on the same weekend. We see helicopters. We see a crane go by. All good (sick) signs.

I watch the slices of life around me. Everyone in their own little bubble. The ancient couple in the old Airstream: she's reading the paper in the back and he's driving, because that's what he always does. The two dudes in the convertible Saab with the Illinois plates, pulling the top down and catching up on their California tans. The manicured toes sticking out of the passenger windows. Everyone stoically enduring the stuckness, in their own ways.

And it made me think about stuckness. How you sometimes just have to deal with it. Not one thing in the world was going to get us going faster until whatever it was cleared up. Not one thing was going to change our stuckness except time. So people sat and sunned and ate and argued and read the paper and talked on the phone, and just had to settle into it.

I pulled out my iPod. (Thought I'd forgotten the point, huh?) I pulled out my iPod and I put it on. And I ROCKED. I sang out loud, bouncing in the truck, like I was all alone in my little bubble. Love shack BAAAAAYYYYYBYYYY.

My iPod made me happy.

After an hour and a half, we made it through a hideous accident. I was late to pick up the homeless people. They loaded and unloaded so fast that we made up most of the time. The theatre people only got to sit around waiting for an hour. It was OK.

And no, it wasn't because of the iPod that everything worked out all right. Or maybe it was. Maybe it was just that extra thing I needed to get through the stuckness that did the trick. Whatever it takes, it's worth it to get through the jams and get moving again. And if you can do it with good grace, so much the better.


# posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 1:40 PM

 

Comments: Post a Comment << Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?