Thursday, March 03, 2005Pivot Points: the Photo ShootNotes from the photo shoot for the cover of the book....![]() Two of my best friends are over and are giving me their time, their physicality, and their expansive creative energy. The photographer is a new friend; she blends seamlessly into our ten-year-old friendships and immediately becomes one of us. We are four women caught at pivotal points in our lives. Flash.Disco music and Mustang Sally. We periodically run out into the rain to our cars to get better music. My in-house collection is not designed to be the background to the music video my living room has become. The photographer weaves in and out of the light, talking to them, pushing a hip to one side, telling them to turn clockwise a hair. Flash.We talk about our fears. Each one of us hides behind various aspects of our lives: our art, our shyness, our doubts about our place in the world. Who are we to dare to be? We are sure everyone else is more sophisticated, more sure of themselves than we are. This moment has come about because I was scared to death I'd die without doing anything. I am forcing this book into existence one element at a time. And now a world is springing up around me, full blown. Somehow I found the ability to overcome my fear and my excuses and got it together to get my words read by some people. Now I have this army of creative, smart, driven, talented soldiers, surrounding me. And they will, as one, turn on me and chew the living meat off my bones if I dare stop now. A reality is being unveiled. It has nothing to do with me. All I've brought to the table is the chutzpah to fake it into happening. Flash.Act as if you're sexy. You are. Flash.Act as if you're fully alive. You are. Flash.Act as if you're glorious. You are. Flash.Act as if you're an author. You are. Four women caught at a pivotal moment in their lives. Never doubt the incredible power of a woman poised at the brink of self-discovery. The sexuality, the power, the joy, the promise is unstoppable. Act as if you're a force of nature. You are. # posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 12:34 AM Comments: Post a Comment << Home
|
