Friday, March 11, 2005Money For NothingThere's a look my brother has when he's sailing his boat. It is centered, alert, serene, and makes me feel he is exactly in the moment.I've always paid attention to that look. When I see someone doing something and that look comes over their face, I pay attention. This is what that person was put on this planet to do. This is the look of a perfectly congruent being: who they are equals what they are doing. Skye, my photographer, has that look when she's taking pictures. And she managed to sneak inside my soul and capture that look for me. That's the picture of me on the website and the back of the preview book. I look at that and I see the feeling I feel when I'm writing - exactly in the moment, tapped in, listening. As I was writing yesterday's blog, the Dire Straits song "Money for Nothing" came on. Love that song. And it goes along with this powerful one-two punch of understanding I'm getting these days. Do that thing you do when you get that look - and great things inevitably happen. The money will flow. The chicks are free. The more drilled down I get into that great cosmic source these days, the more sure I am that old Joseph Campbell was really REALLY right. Follow your bliss. Go to that place where you have and feel that look, and stay there as much as you can. No, I'm not the first person to get this, and it feels trite to say it again - but I will say it again. For my benefit as well as anyone else's who cares to listen. It's the Indiana Jones thing. In the third movie, he has to cross an abyss. No way down, no way across. Except by taking a blind, crazy, leap of faith. He must step out over this abyss and just know that a flagstone appears. And of course it does. When you step out, in your bliss, the next step appears. I don't know how it does it, but it does. If you wait for it to appear, it will not appear. If you think about it hard enough and draw a bunch of diagrams and map it out in an Excel spreadsheet, it will not appear. If you wait until you have a nice safety cushion just in case it won't appear... guess what? It won't appear. It appears when you move your foot forward and expect it to be there. That simple. That mysterious. That amazing. And that certain. And the thing to listen to? It's FUN. Fun fun fun. Fun like a Corvette with the top down going 80 on the PCH. Fun as a really rip-roaring orgasm. Fun as the prospect of Disneyland felt when we were kids. The bliss is that kind of fun. And when you're there and you're walking across that chasm and the flagstones keep appearing -- man, it rocks. And the money appears. For nothing... and for everything you did to gear yourself up for that first monumental and simple step. # posted by Katherine Doughtie Nolan @ 11:58 AM Comments: Post a Comment << Home
|